Hello and welcome back. Today I've got a kitbash I performed last week in an attempt to get my squad of Iron Hands and Iron Father completed and looking dandy. This conversion took a lot more time and effort than I anticipated, but the turnout was completely worth it. After the break I'll show you what all I used in this conversion and how I went about it all. So come along, won't you?
First, the products I used for this kitbash. There is one Iron Father and five Iron Hands I wanted to create, so here's the list of what I used to accomplish exactly this:
- 1 Bionic Bits Set from MaxMini
- 1 Iron Hands Set from GW
- Plasticard tubes
- Extra Sprue
- Casting Resin
- Bits from an old Gundam model
- A little Green Stuff
Using the legs and arms/hands from the Iron Hands set and the MaxMini bits should allow every model to have at least two or more mechanical limbs. Planning out what items go with which model beforehand is a very important step in this process. I wanted every model aside from the Iron Father to have as equal as possible mechanical upgrades:
For those using a MaxMini leg, a simple cutting-off of the normal leg for its replacement was simple enough:
As for the Iron Hands, that's about all there is to it. I simply took the rest of the pieces at hand and mixed and matched what items I wanted where:
Now, the Iron Father took a bit more effort. For this guy I wanted a special pose with him thrusting his Servo-Arm at an opponent. First, I needed a Servo-Arm. I took an old sprue from the Stalker Tank I purchased a while back and clipped off two sections, combining them with a plasticard tube joint:
After this I took some bits from an old Gundam model for the caps on the joint:
Next I clipped off one of the exhaust ports on the Iron Father's pack and glued the Servo-Arm in place with the pose I had struck:
I also planted a smaller plasticard tube for the "hydrolic" support:
Quite The Fearsome Nob, There
The "Servo-Hand" once again involved a gutted bit from an old Gundam model, along with another plasticard tube for the joint and some GS for the caps:
After this was finished, I did enjoy how it came out, but I wanted a little more added. I had recently completed a casting session (for models...err, plastic miniatures) and had some excess resin that dried in a unique form underneath my mold. I took this and clipped it appropriately so it looks like the sword is making a "swooshing" motion as I call it. I may end up removing this, but for now I think it looks snazzy:
For more detail I added in a power cable from the Servo-Arm to the pack:
Since these pictures I've actually added some more detail to the Servo-Arm, but have since primed this guy black and forgot to take some snapshots before doing so, so I won't have much to show until it's painted (and I will definitely take pictures of that.) Until these guys are fully done, this is the Iron Father in all of his glory:
Goosebumps. You have them.
More conversions on the way. Stay tuned.