July 5, 2012

6th Edition: Disclaimer and Continued Thoughts

Side Note: After A Healthy Debate I Also Like To Go And Pee On Things

Oh no, I'm not even close to done ladies and gents. Continuing from my last ramblings I want to toss in a disclaimer for my previous post as well as sum up some thoughts I had forgotten to include. Seeing as it's pretty late right now, I'll probably have a continuation of this continuation tomorrow as well; go go sleep deprivation! Moving along, today's post is of course all about 6th and while some of you may be sick of 6th Edition posts, I really couldn't care less and will continue to do my part in cluttering up your RSS feeds as so many have done to me. More after the jump.

Disclaimer
After some great back and forth with my 40k buddies inside and outside of my zipcode, I want to clear up two things. First, I think I came off more dramatic about the weakness of vehicles than I intended. I'm certainly not under the impression that vehicles are completely useless; this is far from the truth. Vehicles still have their foothold in 40k, but not as strong of one as before.

Secondly, it was pointed out to me by those of my friends that have played games of 6th in the double digits that a game of 40k that involves Necrons and a game that doesn't differs greatly. Why? Back to my original point, being able to glance any vehicle in the game on a roll 6 with a majority of your army can cause a perspective on vehicles to be skewed. Gauss is a powerhouse in this respect, and I think it's something my opponent and I both overlooked during our games. For all of my Strength 4 Gauss weaponry in my list, if you take away the word Gauss all of my shots at AV12, 13 and 14 would not have happened. Gauss was pretty pathetic in 5th Edition, all the way through. Useful, but useful like a baby carrot is useful to a starving gorilla. In 6th Gauss takes a huge leap and rapid firing Gauss brings up the ante twofold.

To sum up this subject I want to list out some pros and cons off the top of my head that vehicle survivability has come to in 6th Edition and let you decide for yourself where we stand:

Pros
  • More survivable damage table
  • Glances no longer roll on the damage table
  • Vehicles now get cover from 25% obscurity compared to 50% in 5th

Cons
  • Can be wrecked fairly easy to volume of glancing attempts
  • AP1 and 2 are better at hurting vehicles than in 5th
  • AP- no longer has a negative


Continued Thoughts
Okay, now that that's out of the way let's move on to some things I forgot to mention. The first is Overwatch. Holy crap on a cracker this ability is not only entertaining and visually stimulating, but also gives those non-melee armies a chance to fight back. I actually lost a Canoptek Wraith or two to Overwatch and while, yeah, that sucks strategically, visually it's fantastic.

Snapfire is up next. What a great mechanic! I can't say enough about this new rule. Going to ground? You can snapfire! Moving while toting that heavy weapon? Why not snapfire? Is there a flyer nearby that is causing you grief? Snapfire! Getting assaulted? Well, you get the idea. The concept is just...well, I can't say enough about it. Why this rule hasn't existed before is beyond me and really adds a new element to every portion of the game; vehicles, moving, assaults, etc. Literally everything is affected by this yet it's not a detrimental change. I applaud you GW.

That's Right, We're Getting Quite Literal Today On TLA

Speaking of thanking GW for things: Chariots! Hot damn what a fun unit type. Yes yes, my Sweep Attack ability is far less frightening to my enemies, but it gets nothing but bonus' in return. Gone are the days of CCB Overlords paying for a 2+ armour save, first of all. Getting a free bonus to your armour just because is pretty dandy. What I truly enjoy is when I'm being shot at, it's against my AV and when I'm being chopped and sliced at it's against my T5 2+/3++ (assuming we understood the rules correctly.) This combined with Hammer of Wrath on a D6 is just icing on the cake. Douche Canoe is right people; don't expect any Necron players to be putting these away any time soon.

As always, if I've missed something or you just feel like typing letters into a box--you know what to do.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. If Necrons start having a bigger presence on the tournament scene you might see a drastic reduction in vehicles. Flyers will probably still be popular as they zoom and jink around the Gauss, but dumping that transport for a few more troops could be the better deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete