October 28, 2009

This Old Drop Pod

*In the voice of Norm Abram* Oh, hello there. Today I'm going to show you a quick solution to those nasty old Drop Pod doors that just won't seem to stay shut. Now, if you're like me, you'd like just 15mins alone with the designer of this model, in a soundproof room more than anything else. But, with today's society, restraining orders make those types of dreams difficult to attain. Instead, here's a non-violent direction to take: Magnets.

Applying the magnets to the top of the doors is difficult in 2 ways; First, there's no flat surface on the door that is parallel to the engine at the top of the Drop Pod. Second, as with most every Drop Pod I see, no one can ever get their doors to fully close. So getting magnets strong enough to make good enough pull is difficult if you don't want it too look silly.

What I've done instead is put very thin magnets (3/16 x 1/32) on the sides of the doors and Drop Pod blades, like so:


This makes a great hold, and once painted over will not be noticed by other crafting a-holes:


If I can find my USB cable to my other camera I'll get some more posts in this week. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Nice. Though wouldn't they look better recessed smooth? :-p (I'd been thinking of a similar solution, but still haven't acquired any pods to actually try it out on.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would, indeed. I just really hate re-priming... lol

    ReplyDelete