October 9, 2009

I F***ed Up

Why yes, yes you did. You thought that paint scheme idea you had last Saturday night was going to look pretty neato after 5 gin and tonics. But, let me tell you, orange and pink is not a good selection for chaos. So now we have a whole lot of models that are painted like a Picasso masterpiece. What to do, now? Well, later you'll want to take a look at some of the masterpieces Eric has painted up over at The Midnight Shift and learn a few things from him. But, first, we'll want to get rid of the paint "job" you've created for yourself. It is by no means something new and original, but I'm surprised by how many people on the intarwebz don't know about this:


Simplegreen can be purchased anywhere automotive liquids are sold. It's a non-toxic cleaner that gets soaked up by paint, but won't eat away at plastic, glue or metal. Leave your horridly painted models in cups/tuppaware that will leave them fully submerged for 2 days to 2 weeks. I've heard it takes that little or that much, but I personally chose 1 week. This will leave a section of your home looking like you're experimenting on an alien race:


But once they're ready, grab a grout brush, like so, and go to town:


I found that paints will rub off easily on any model. Primers, however, will take a bit of effort on plastic models and no effort at all on metal models. Once finished, you'll go from a Purple/Black SM army (Shut up) to this:


Enjoy, and have fun. Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. You can actually speed up the time to less than an hour by lightly heating them. Just make sure to do it in a double-boiler on low so that you don't melt the figs. I also prefer a brass wire brush for cleaning as it gets just that bit more than the plastic...

    Heh. Overland Park? My sympathies. (My Mom's fam is from Shawnee and my Dad's from Lawrence... though most have either gotten out of state or moved to Wichita.) :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know! Thanks! I wasn't sure on a wire brush, I didn't want to hurt the plastic at all. But I'll try it with my next batch.

    And for shame, I like OP! =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick is to use a brass wire brush. Picked it up from an old hand when I was doing industrial painting. They're great for cleaning the heads of high-pressure sprayers... or cleaning paint off GW figs without scratching up the surface. It's actually possible to clean an entire fig with just elbow grease, though I don't recommend it. A painter's brass brush works best as it's softer brass (and they're dirt cheap), but I've even used a BBQ cleaner in a pinch.

    And OP's actually pretty nice, for the midwest. :-p I just couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete