June 23, 2016

Look What I Did: Built A Table

So the hobby table has been pretty vacant for the last month, but only because I've been creating a gaming table. I've always wanted to make my own, with all of the bells and whistles, but without time, space and knowledge on woodworking and electrical work, I never really got around to it. Until I moved to a new place with the room for such a project. And so, I dove in. More after the jump.

To start, I used THIS tutorial as the base of my plans. I made a few modifications and personal changes to the design, but nothing extreme aside from the differences in our wiring, which I'll explain below.

One of the major screw-ups (there were plenty of those) that bothers me is I didn't sand enough before I stained everything. There are some rough spots here and there and markings from during construction that still can be seen. I also had no idea what I was doing when it came to staining on top of it all. For this portion, pay very close attention to the instruction in the video linked above.

Aside from the insane amount of experience and knowledge I gained from woodworking on this project, it was even more with the electrical work; I learned so much. For instance, I wired the table so that each outlet is independent of one another's functionality:
Google And YouTube "Wiring Outlets For Dummies" Until It Makes Sense Was My Strategy

So outlets and then of course bottle openers on each corner:

I got a cheapo RCA TV since no one on the internet or in local retail could tell me whether TVs these days can live their lives on their backs or not. I still don't know the answer to this, but I'll be sure to report it here if the TV craps out soon.
(UPDATE: The creator of the video linked above assured me that his table-imbedded TV is still doing just fine after more than a year of regular use.)

Finally, a huge thanks to the creator of the video linked above and to my roommates who let me occupy the garage off and on for the last month.

Until next time.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! That takes some cajones to do all that without experience. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. That video I linked really gave me some courage

      Delete
  2. Awesome table! I'm planning on trying my hand at this table very soon (only in a 4x6 configuration instead) and I'm wondering -- on yours, did you stick with white pine? Also, what stain did you use? It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you should, I had a blast! I was going to try for the 4x6, but we just don't have the room (there's ~11 inches for the lip going around, so it adds ~22 inches to the length and width).

      To keep costs down, I went with regular pine, but definitely go with a higher grade if you can swing it. I ended up going with a higher grade for the top cover just so it would be relatively flat (it's super humid here and the wood obeys the humidity).

      The stain I used was Minwax Mahogany 225.

      Delete
  3. If you've ever gone to Red Robin when you walk in they typically have a TV in the floor. It's just fine! Great job!

    ReplyDelete